Thursday, January 10, 2013

Circles

Two days ago, my itty bitty girl came home from school and said, "Mommy, would it hurt your feelings if someone said that one person was their 'best' friend and you were just their regular friend?" Having experienced more than my share of my own and my oldest daughter's mean girl interactions over the years, I confirmed that it would hurt my feelings. Especially at 6. We talked about it a lot and decided it wasn't kind, and we would try not to single people out in some sort of importance hierarchy.

And while soothing my tiny girl's heart, I realized that I talk about my "best" friend all the time. It never crossed my mind that it would hurt anyone's feelings. Especially since one of my "best" friends never sullies her beautiful mind with computers and social media and such. However, when I used the term in a blog, one of my closest friends was unsure if I meant her or someone else.

Like many women, I've gone through plenty of friendship evolutions. I have known lots of reason and season people. I have walked away from friendships, had people walk away from me, and had God call people before I was ready to let them go. At this point, I am much better able to see why people are in my life or why I am in theirs.

I have not always had very many real friends, which is why I clung so tightly to my "best" friends. In the past few years, God has blessed me and opened my eyes to see the amazing group of women surrounding me. Women who teach me so much. Women who listen, support, hug, pray for and pray with me. Women who reach out to offer a kind word or just to remind you that you're not alone in your journey.

To my girlfriends, whether we interact on Facebook, Twitter, at church, work, or a baseball game, I cherish you. Whether I have known you since we were little girls or I just met you, you are important to me, and I'm blessed God allowed our paths to cross. Whether we share DNA, a common relative, or simply an affinity for cats, we are connected, and I'm grateful to share this journey with you.


4 comments:

  1. Really great post Mary, thank you for sharing. I, too, am also guilty of deeming friends this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy! I'm grateful for your feedback :)

      Delete
  2. I just always assume you're talking about me.

    ReplyDelete